As part of their English topic on Reports, Y5 children produced, published and sold their own school magazines... and made a bit of cash in the process!
Here's how it works:
- In English lessons, learn how to write interesting reports.
- Learn how to get the formality right.
- Learn how to write open questions which don't offend anyone . "You look old, Mr Blake - but how old are you REALLY?"
- Learn how to quote people using direct and reported speech.
- Team up, making sure that you have a range of people with different interests in your group.
- Pick an EDITOR - the person with responsibility for driving the team.
- Decide on articles which involve and interest your audience.
- Interview people and get creative with each page.
- Write the pages using Word and Publisher.
- Proofread and PUBLISH!
- Sell your magazine!
Pictures of 'The Big Sell'
The children sold their magazines on the school field at breaktime.
Some sample pages
More to follow! Click to enlarge.